SIU Investigates Shooting Incident in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TFI-006
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TFI-006
Mississauga (6 January, 2012) --- Mississauga (January 6, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injuries sustained by a man in Toronto this afternoon.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 12:30 p.m. today, TPS officers in a police vehicle were on patrol in the area of 2625 Weston Road, where a shopping plaza is located;
• Officers drove to the back of the plaza at which point they saw a man;
• There was an interaction between the man and the officers;
• The man made his way towards Weston Road in the direction of the 401E ramp;
• Several shots were fired by police;
• The man was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital for treatment. His vital signs are present.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342