SIU Investigates Falling Injuries in Etobicoke
Case Number: 12-TCI-010
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCI-010
Mississauga (9 January, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 20-year-old man in Etobicoke Sunday afternoon.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At 1:43 p.m. on Sunday, January 8, 2012, the TPS was called, and subsequently Emergency Task Force officers were dispatched to an apartment building at 10 Fontenay Court;
• Officers made their way to the roof of the six-storey building, and spoke with the 20-year-old man;
• At some point, it appears the man jumped from the building;
• He was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, and is presently in critical condition.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342