Appeal for Witnesses:SIU Continuing Investigation into Brantford Custody Injury
Case Number: 12-OCI-007
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCI-007
Mississauga (11 January, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 34-year-old man in Brantford last week.
The Brantford Police Service (BPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 7:30 p.m. on Friday, January 6, 2012, BPS officers pulled a vehicle over;
• A man fled from the vehicle and was pursued by officers;
• A short time later, the 34-year-old man was apprehended by two plainclothes male officers near the intersection of Icomm Drive/Greenwich Street and Clarence Street South, and there was a physical altercation;
• The man was taken to Brantford General Hospital for treatment of a facial injury.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident. Two subject officers and three witness officers with BPS have been designated.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342