SIU Investigates Shooting Injury near Thunder Bay
Case Number: 12-PCI-022
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PCI-022
Mississauga (18 January, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury of a 47-year-old Thunder Bay man yesterday.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 17, 2012, Thunder Bay City Police received a call. Based on information that came from the call, the OPP was called to assist in locating a 47-year-old man;
• The man’s vehicle was seen by OPP officers on Hwy 527, about 40 km north of Thunder Bay. An OPP aircraft monitored the vehicle until Emergency Response Team (ERT) officers on the ground could arrive;
• The ERT officers took up observation of the vehicle, which at some point left the road and became stuck in a ditch;
• A short time later, the man sustained a gunshot wound to the head. He was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342