SIU Investigates Shooting Injury in Brampton
Case Number: 12-OFI-032
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OFI-032
Mississauga (27 January, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearms injury of a man in Brampton this evening.
On January 27, 2012, the Peel Regional Police (PRP) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• At approximately 6:50 p.m. on January 27, 2012, officers were conducting an investigation on a vehicle which drove into a residential driveway on Velvet Grass Lane, Brampton;
• The vehicle attempted to flee and an officer discharged his firearm;
• The male driver was apprehended and taken to Brampton Civic Hospital. He had sustained a non-life threatening gunshot wound to the upper body.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Oliver Gordon, Oliver.Gordon@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342