Update: SIU Releases Name of Man Fatally Shot in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TFD-041
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TFD-041
Mississauga (6 February, 2012) --- The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of 29-year-old Michael Eligon Friday morning.
The SIU was notified that:
• At approximately 10:15 a.m. on February 3, 2012, there was an interaction between Toronto Police Service officers and Mr. Eligon on Milverton Boulevard.
• At some point, Mr. Eligon was fatally shot.
• He was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 10:37 a.m.
Seven investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU are investigating this incident. One subject officer and ten witness officers with the TPS have been designated.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342