SIU Investigating Collision in Lucan
Case Number: 12-PVI-046
Mississauga (10 February, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries suffered by 25 year-old, Tom Richards of London, early this morning.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 7:15am, an OPP officer from the Middlesex detachment was conducting radar on Highway 4 in Lucan;
• The officer attempted to stop a vehicle driven by Mr. Richards;
• The vehicle allegedly failed to stop;
• A short distance later, the officer saw that the vehicle had rolled over into the ditch;
• Mr. Richards the sole occupant of the vehicle, was taken to Victoria Hospital for treatment of his injuries.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances surrounding this incident. One subject officer and two witness officers have been designated in relation to this investigation. The Unit is appealing for anyone who may have information regarding this incident to contact the Unit at 416-622-2380 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1806.
Highway 4 will remain closed this afternoon for the on-going SIU investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342