Update: SIU Releases Name of Man in East Hamilton Firearm Death
Case Number: 12-OFD-052
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OFD-052
Mississauga (14 February, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the death of 27-year-old Phonesay Chanthachack in East Hamilton yesterday afternoon.
The Hamilton Police Service (HPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 1:00 p.m. on February 13, 2012, HPS were conducting a criminal investigation in the area of Quigley Road and Albright Avenue in East Hamilton;
• HPS officers attempted to stop a vehicle;
• There was an interaction between HPS officers and Mr. Chanthachack and an officer discharged his firearm;
• Mr. Chanthachack was transported to Hamilton General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. At this time the Unit has designated one subject officer and three witness officers in relation to this incident. A post mortem is scheduled for this morning.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342