SIU Investigating Custody Injury in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TCI-056
On Saturday, February 18, 2012, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
- At approximately 2:17 a.m. on Saturday, February 18, 2012 police responded to a disturbance outside of 868 Bloor Street West;
- A 24-year-old man was arrested and treated at hospital for a fractured arm. He has since been released.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342