SIU Investigates Death of Man in Mississauga
Case Number: 12-OCD-063
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-063
Mississauga (23 February, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 51-year-old man in Mississauga yesterday.
Peel Regional Police (PRP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 2:45 p.m. on Wednesday, February 22, 2012, PRP officers dealt with a man in the area of Lakeshore Road East and Shaw Drive in Mississauga for public intoxication;
• At approximately 3:20 p.m., an officer dropped the man at his home in the care of another individual;
• In the evening hours, the man was found vital signs absent and subsequently pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342