Update: SIU Complainant Pronounced Deceased
Case Number: 12-PVD-074
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVD-074
Mississauga (18 March, 2012) --- A man who was injured last week during an interaction with Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has succumbed to his injuries. David A. Nesbitt, 85-years-old of Orillia, was pronounced deceased on Friday, March 16, 2012.
The SIU was notified on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 by the OPP that:
• At approximately 4:45 p.m. that day, Mr. Nesbitt, who was on a bicycle, was struck by an unmarked police vehicle being driven by an OPP officer. The incident occurred on Atherley Road near Gill Street.
• Mr. Nesbitt was taken to Soldier's Memorial Hospital and then air lifted to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment of injuries.
Mr. Nesbitt was pronounced dead at 5:16 p.m. on Friday. The post-mortem is scheduled for this morning.
Five investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist from the SIU are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342