SIU Investigates Vehicle Injury in Kingston
Case Number: 12-OVI-077
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OVI-077
Mississauga (18 March, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the vehicle injury of a man in his 20’s in Kingston early this morning.
On March 18, 2012 the Kingston Police Service (KPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 1:30 a.m. this date, KPS officers attempted to speak with a man;
• The man fled from officers;
• He ran into the intersection of Johnson Street and Division Street, and was subsequently struck by a police vehicle;
• The man was taken to hospital with a leg fracture.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342