SIU Investigates Custody Death near Mattawa
Case Number: 12-PCD-089
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PCD-089
Mississauga (29 March, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 56-year-old man near Mattawa yesterday.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• In the afternoon of Wednesday, March 28, 2012, the OPP’s Emergency Response Team attended a residence on Martel Road. They remained outside the home;
• At approximately 10:30 p.m., the Tactical Response Unit entered the residence;
• A man was found in a bedroom, with a gunshot wound to the chest. He was pronounced deceased on scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. A post mortem is scheduled for tomorrow.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342