SIU Investigates Falling Death in Scarborough
Case Number: 12-TCD-107
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCD-107
Mississauga (19 April, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 30-year-old woman in Scarborough last night.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 8:30 p.m. on April 18, 2012, officers attended 10 Gordonridge Place after receiving a call from tenants of the apartment building;
• When officers went to the door of a seventh-floor apartment unit, a woman answered but refused to let the officers inside;
• Shortly thereafter, she fell from the balcony to the ground;
• She was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The woman was pronounced deceased near midnight. A postmortem is expected to take place later today.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342