SIU Investigates Fatal Shooting near Owen Sound
Case Number: 12-PFD-116
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PFD-116
Mississauga (27 April, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of a man near Owen Sound this morning.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 6:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 26, 2012, officers with the OPP responded to a residence in Mooresburg;
• At some point, an individual left the residence. He was tracked by officers to another residence, and this was contained by tactical officers;
• Prior to 7:30 a.m. this morning, there was an exchange of gunfire between the individual and police;
• The man sustained a fatal gunshot wound to the chest.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2290 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342