SIU Investigates Death near Maitland
Case Number: 12-PFD-123
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PFD-123
Mississauga (2 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 33-year-old man near Maitland this morning.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• Early this morning, after receiving a call, officers attended a residence in the Augusta Township. By the time they arrived, a man had fled into the woods. The officers searched for him but were not able to find him;
• This morning, at approximately 7:00 a.m., officers received another call regarding this man and returned to the residence;
• There was an interaction between officers and the man, and he was fatally shot by police.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342