SIU Investigates Death in Windsor
Case Number: 12-OCD-125
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-125
Mississauga (3 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the custody death of a 22-year-old Windsor man this morning.
The Windsor Police Service (WPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 3, 2012, WPS received a call regarding a man that was acting strangely in the area of Jacob Drive;
• An officer attended the area and found the man. As the man was having difficulty breathing, the officer placed him in a recovery position;
• Another officer arrived to assist, but soon after the man went vital signs absent;
• Paramedics took him to the hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2290 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342