Update: SIU Releases Name of Man in Oakville Shooting Death
Case Number: 12-OFD-015
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OFD-015
Mississauga (13 January, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the death yesterday of 43-year-old Kyle Newman of Oakville.
The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) reported to the SIU the following:
• At approximately 11:45 a.m. on Thursday, January 12, an individual was noticed causing damage in the parking lot of 20 Division in Oakville;
• Officers went outside to deal with the issue;
• There was an interaction between officers and the man, now known to be Mr. Newman, and he was fatally shot by police.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Investigators have designated two officers with HRPS as subject officers, and eight as witness officers.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342