SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injury near Chatham-Kent
Case Number: 12-PVI-130
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVI-130
Mississauga (10 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 29-year-old motorist near Chatham-Kent early this morning.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• Shortly after midnight on Thursday, May 10, 2012, officers from the OPP and the Chatham-Kent Police Service began following a suspected stolen vehicle going eastbound on Highway 401;
• Between Bloomfield Road and Highway 40, the driver of the vehicle drove around a cruiser and rolled into a ditch.
• He was taken to Chatham-Kent Health Alliance for treatment.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342