SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injury near Chatham-Kent
Case Number: 12-PVI-130
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVI-130
Mississauga (10 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 29-year-old motorist near Chatham-Kent early this morning.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• Shortly after midnight on Thursday, May 10, 2012, officers from the OPP and the Chatham-Kent Police Service began following a suspected stolen vehicle going eastbound on Highway 401;
• Between Bloomfield Road and Highway 40, the driver of the vehicle drove around a cruiser and rolled into a ditch.
• He was taken to Chatham-Kent Health Alliance for treatment.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342