SIU Investigating Vehicle Death in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 12-OVD-137
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OVD-137
Mississauga (21 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 67-year-old male in Thunder Bay on May 20, 2012.
The Thunder Bay Police Service (TBPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• Late on the evening of May 20, 2012, a TBPS officer was in the area of Victoria Ave investigating a reported stolen vehicle;
• The officer activated his vehicle’s emergency lights, but the vehicle did not stop;
• A short distance later, on Northern Ave, the officer saw that the vehicle had become involved in a collision with another civilian vehicle;
• The driver of the second civilian vehicle, a 67-year-old man, was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Three investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU have been dispatched to the scene. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342