SIU Investigates Falling Death in Cornwall
Case Number: 12-OCD-144
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-144
Mississauga (24 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 64-year-old man in Cornwall last night.
The Cornwall Police Service (CPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 7:00 p.m. on May 23, 2012, officers attended the Cornwall Square Mall regarding a male behaving in a suspicious manner;
• Shortly thereafter, the man fell from the third floor parking level to the ground;
• He was taken to Cornwall Community Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and five witness officers in relation to this incident.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators continue to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342