SIU Investigates Shooting Incident in Oshawa
Case Number: 12-OFI-153
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OFI-153
Mississauga (30 May, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury sustained by a 22-year-old man in Oshawa this afternoon.
The Durham Regional Police Service (DRPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 12:00 p.m. today, officers were investigating a complaint of a stolen vehicle;
• The vehicle was located a short time later, and there was an interaction between the driver and a DRPS officer near Hillside Avenue and Montrave Avenue;
• The male driver sustained a gunshot wound to the leg, and was taken to Lakeridge Health in Oshawa for treatment of a non-life threatening injury.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2290 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342