SIU Investigates Falling Death in Scarborough
Case Number: 12-TCD-162
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCD-162
Mississauga (4 June, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the falling death of a man in Scarborough this afternoon.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) reported the following to the SIU:
• At approximately 2: 18 p.m. on June 4, 2012, TPS attended a residence on Adanac Drive for a call for assistance; and
• As an officer opened the door for the 15th floor stairwell, a man went through the window and fell.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. The identity of the deceased male is not known at this time and efforts are underway to identify him.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Oliver Gordon, Oliver.Gordon@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342