SIU Investigates Death near Gravenhurst
Case Number: 12-POD-164
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-POD-164
Mississauga (6 June, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 57-year-old man yesterday.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 1:00 p.m. on June 5, 2012, the OPP responded to a residence on Southwood Road after receiving a call from a female;
• While speaking to the female outside of the home, officers heard a gunshot from inside;
• At approximately 9:00 p.m., officers entered the home and found a man deceased.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident. A post-mortem will take place today in Toronto.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342