Ontario Provincial Police Officer Charged
Case Number: 10-PSA-155
Mississauga (14 June, 2012) --- The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Ian Scott, has reasonable grounds to believe that an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer with the Northumberland Detachment committed criminal offences in relation to a July 2010 incident involving two females – one who was 14 years of age at the time of the incident, and one who was 18 years of age. Director Scott has caused several charges to be laid against the officer.
The SIU was contacted by the OPP regarding a complaint of a sexual nature against the officer which was alleged to have taken place in late July of 2010. Investigations were launched, and as a result of the findings, Constable James Orser of the OPP is facing the following Criminal Code of Canada charges:
• Two counts of Sexual Assault, contrary to s. 271
• One count of Sexual Interference, contrary to s. 151
The officer is compelled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 860 William Street in Cobourg on July 25, 2012. The Justice Prosecutions branch of the Ministry of the Attorney General will have carriage of the prosecution.
As this matter is now before the courts, and in consideration of the fair trial interests of the charged officer and the community, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342