SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TVI-175
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TVI-175
Mississauga (19 June, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a motor vehicle collision yesterday that left 22-year-old Michael Andrade of Ajax with serious injuries.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 3:40 p.m. on Monday, June 18, 2012, a TPS officer was en route to a homicide investigation, heading north on Dovercourt Road;
• At the intersection of Dovercourt Road and Heydon Park Road, the officer’s vehicle collided with a 2004 Acura being driven by Mr. Andrade;
• Mr. Andrade sustained serious injuries and was taken to Toronto Western Hospital for treatment of a concussion.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-888-305-2691.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342