SIU Investigates Vehicle Death in Sarnia
Case Number: 12-PVD-183
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVD-183
Mississauga (25 June, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 35-year-old male motorist in Sarnia this morning, and the injuries sustained by a 28-year-old woman.
The Sarnia Police Service reported the following information to the SIU:
• In the morning hours of Monday, June 25, 2012, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were following a motorcycle westbound on Highway 402;
• At approximately 6:40 a.m., after the motorcycle exited the highway onto Indian Road North going northbound, officers stopped following it;
• A short time later, the motorcycle T-boned an SUV at the intersection of Indian Road and Michigan Avenue;
• The driver of the motorcycle was pronounced deceased at the scene. The driver of the SUV sustained serious injuries and was taken to Royal Victoria Hospital in London.
Four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist are investigating this incident. The post-mortem on the motorcycle driver will take place tomorrow morning in London.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342