SIU Investigates Custody Death in Pembroke
Case Number: 12-OCD-205
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-205
Mississauga (17 July, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 58-year-old man in Pembroke this morning.
The Pembroke Police Service (PPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• This morning at approximately 10:20 this morning, PPS responded to an Emergency Medical Services call to 250 McKenzie Street in Pembroke regarding a male with a self-inflicted gunshot wound;
• Upon their arrival officers saw a man carrying a firearm;
• Officers made their presence known;
• A short while later the man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 ext. 9035.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342