SIU Investigates Custody Death in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TCD-206
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCD-206
Mississauga (18 July, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 38-year-old man in Toronto this morning.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• A male was arrested yesterday at approximately 6:27 p.m. near 1000 Gerrard St E on suspected possession of stolen property;
• There was an interaction between the man and TPS officers;
• The man was later released unconditionally and transported home by TPS officers.
• This morning at approximately 8:27 a.m., TPS was notified that the male was found deceased.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622- 1925 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342