SIU Investigates Death of Man in Niagara Falls
Case Number: 12-OCD-213
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-213
Mississauga (24 July, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a man in Niagara Falls today.
The Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• Shortly after 5:00 p.m. on July 24, 2012, a NRPS officer was chasing a man in the area of River Road, between Otter and Eastwood Streets;
• A short time later, they both went over the gorge wall and into the Niagara gorge;
• The man succumbed to his injuries, and recovery efforts are currently underway to retrieve his body from the gorge;
• The officer sustained a broken femur and was airlifted to Hamilton General Hospital.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342