Update: Man Pronounced Deceased in York Region
Case Number: 12-OCD-216
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-216
Mississauga (26 July, 2012) --- A 56-year-old man who was hospitalized last night has now been pronounced deceased. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding his death.
York Regional Police (YRP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 25, 2012, officers with YRP attended a Tim Hortons at Leslie Street and Davis Drive in Newmarket after receiving a call;
• The officers arrested a man, and transported him to 1 District Station;
• Soon after arriving at the police station, the man went into medical distress. EMS responded and transported him to the Southlake Regional Health Centre where he was put on life support;
• The man was pronounced deceased at 2:39 p.m. this afternoon.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. One subject officer and two witness officers with YRP have been designated.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342