SIU Investigates Pedestrian Fatality
Case Number: 12-TVD-218
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TVD-218
Mississauga (28 July, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a pedestrian struck by a Toronto Police Service vehicle.
On July 28, 2012, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• Approximately 1230 hours a Toronto Police Service vehicle was escorting a funeral procession;
• In the area of 500 Rexdale Blvd. the police vehicle struck a pedestrian;
• The pedestrian was killed.
The SIU has assigned six investigators, a collision reconstructionist and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342