SIU Investigates Shooting Incident in Mississauga
Case Number: 12-OFI-255
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OFI-255
Mississauga (4 September, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury sustained by a 50-year-old man in Mississauga this afternoon.
Peel Regional Police contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 1:15 p.m. today, an officer was dispatched to a location on Lakeshore Road East, just east of Hurontario Street;
• A short time later, shots were fired and the 50-year-old man sustained a gunshot wound to the arm;
• He was taken to the Trillium Health Centre in Mississauga for treatment.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1866.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342