SIU Investigates Death of Man in Richmond Hill
Case Number: 12-OCD-271
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-271
Mississauga (21 September, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 47-year-old man in Richmond Hill this morning.
York Regional Police (YRP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• On Thursday, September 20, 2012, at approximately 5:00 p.m., officers responded to the area of Keele Street and Langstaff Road to deal with an intoxicated male in a vehicle.
• The man was arrested for public intoxication, taken to YRP 4 District and lodged in a cell.
• At 2:45 a.m. on Friday, September 21, 2012, the man was released from custody to the care of a family member.
• At 6:00 a.m., the man was found deceased at his home.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1806 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342