SIU Investigates Custody Death in Etobicoke
Case Number: 12-TCD-306
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCD-306
Mississauga (23 October, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 16-year-old female in Etobicoke early this morning.
The SIU was notified of the incident by the Coroner’s Office. The SIU was informed of the following:
• Sometime after midnight on Tuesday, October 23, 2012, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an apartment building at 52 Mabelle Avenue;
• Upon arrival, they saw a female hanging from the 14th floor balcony;
• While officers attempted to speak with her from an adjacent balcony, she fell to the ground.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. A post mortem is scheduled for this afternoon in Toronto.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342