SIU Investigates Vehicle Death in York Region
Case Number: 12-OVD-319
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OVD-319
Mississauga (1 November, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a male in York Region in the early morning hours.
The York Regional Police (YRP) reported the following information to the SIU:
• On November 1, 2012, at approximately 3:30 a.m., YRP were notified that a civilian vehicle travelling on Yonge Street, north of the Stouffville Side Road, had struck a male on the roadway.
• The male appeared to have also been struck by at least one other civilian vehicle.
• Sometime later a YRP cruiser responding to the scene also came into contact with the same male on the roadway.
• The male was pronounced dead at the scene.
Two investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU are investigating this incident. As it is unclear at this time when and precisely how the male person died, YRP is also involved in the investigation.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-2290 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342