SIU Investigates Falling Death in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TCD-320
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCD-320
Mississauga (2 November, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the falling death of a man in Toronto early this morning.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) reported the following to the SIU:
• At approximately 12:17 a.m. on November 2, 2012, TPS officers attended a residence on Lawton Boulevard.
• The officers entered the unit on the seventh floor via the unlocked door, and saw the door to the balcony open.
• The officers then saw the deceased on the ground below.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to the investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 9029.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342