SIU Investigates Shooting Death of Male in Cambridge
Case Number: 12-OCD-250
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-250
Mississauga (30 August, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 29 year old male in Cambridge.
The Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• On Thursday, August 30, 2012, at around 1:45 p.m., police responded to a residence in Cambridge;
• Police entered the home around 2:35 p.m. and located the body of a male suffering from an apparent gunshot wound.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342