SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Brantford
Case Number: 12-OVI-336
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OVI-336
Mississauga (13 November, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a motor vehicle collision in Brantford on Sunday that resulted in serious injuries to a 35-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman.
The Brantford Police Service (BPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• In the afternoon of November 11, 2012, a BPS officer was operating a marked cruiser in the area of West Street and Charing Cross Street;
• At approximately 4:45 p.m., the officer attempted to stop a Ford F-150 pickup truck traveling north on West Street. However, the truck accelerated, made a U-turn and collided head-on with a Ford Explorer pickup truck stopped at the corner of West Street and Charing Cross Street;
• The occupants of both vehicles were taken to Brantford General Hospital for treatment. Only the occupants of the Ford F-150 sustained serious injuries – the 35-year-old driver a fractured clavicle and his 28-year-old passenger a fractured ankle.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342