SIU Investigates After Boy Struck by Cruiser in Brampton
Case Number: 12-OVI-349
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OVI-349
Mississauga (26 November, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by an eight-year-old boy this morning after being struck by a Peel Regional Police cruiser.
The police service contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 8:45 a.m. on Monday, November 26, 2012, two cruisers were responding to a call on Moregate Crescent, near Dixie Road and Bovaird Drive East;
• When on Moregate Crescent, one of the cruisers struck the youth;
• The boy was taken to Brampton Civic Hospital for treatment of a broken leg.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1866 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1866.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342