SIU Investigating Custody Death in Ottawa
Case Number: 12-OCD-364
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OCD-364
Mississauga (14 December, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 47-year-old male in Ottawa last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9:15p.m. on Thursday, December 13, 2012, Ottawa Police Service officers responded to an apartment building at 2651 Regina Street;
• Upon arrival, they interacted with the male in an apartment on the 12th floor;
• At approximately 9:35p.m. the man fell from a window.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. A post mortem is scheduled for this afternoon in Toronto.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342