SIU Investigates Police Shooting in Oshawa
Case Number: 12-OFI-377
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OFI-377
Mississauga (26 December, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a police involved shooting in Oshawa early Wednesday morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 1:20 a.m. Durham Regional Police were investigating a man in the area of King Street East and Charles Street;
• The man entered a business in this area and police set up outside the building;
• At approximately 2:20 a.m. the man drove a vehicle out of the business and he was shot following an interaction with the police;
• The man is being treated in hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and five forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342