SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Vaughan
Case Number: 13-OVI-018
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVI-018
Mississauga (23 January, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 19-year-old woman in Vaughan this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, January 23, 2013, an officer with York Regional Police was traveling southbound on Bathurst Street. In an attempt to stop a vehicle that was traveling northbound, the officer made a U-turn and followed the vehicle.
• A short time later, near the intersection of Bathurst Street and Teefy Avenue, the driver of the civilian vehicle drove off the road and down an embankment.
• She was taken to Mackenzie Health, and then to Sunnybrook Hospital for treatment of a broken leg and broken arm.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342