SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injury in Cobourg
Case Number: 13-OVI-025
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVI-025
Mississauga (27 January, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injury sustained by a 40-year-old male in Cobourg last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10 p.m. on Saturday, January 26, 2013, an officer with the Cobourg Police Service was traveling northbound on Division Street.
• At the intersection of Elgin Street West and Division Street, there was a collision between the police vehicle and a civilian vehicle.
• The driver of the civilian vehicle was taken to Northumberland Hills Hospital for treatment of a broken clavicle. The police officer was also taken to hospital, but has been released.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342