SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Kawartha Lakes
Case Number: 13-PFD-038
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PFD-038
Mississauga (7 February, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a police involved shooting in Kawartha Lakes this afternoon.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 3:50 p.m. on Thursday, February 7, an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer was investigating a vehicle on Kirkfield Road;
• The cruiser and the civilian vehicle collided;
• There was an interaction between the officer and the man in the vehicle and the officer discharged his firearm;
• The man fled the area on foot and was found a short time later deceased.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Oliver Gordon, Oliver.Gordon@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342