SIU Investigating Shooting Injury in Scarborough
Case Number: 13-TFI-041
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFI-041
Mississauga (10 February, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury sustained by a 31-year-old man this evening in Scarborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 6:50 p.m. on February 10, 2013, officers with the Toronto Police Service were dispatched to the eighth floor of an apartment building at 1 Lee Centre Drive, near McCowan Road and Highway 401.
• Upon arrival at a unit on the eighth floor, there was an interaction between officers and a male. One of the officers discharged his firearm.
• The individual was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment of a gunshot wound.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1866.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342