Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Toronto Shooting Injuries
Case Number: 13-TFI-040
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFI-040
Mississauga (12 February, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the shooting injuries sustained by two men this weekend in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• In the early morning hours of Sunday, February 10, 2013, there was an altercation in a parking lot outside the Muzik nightclub, located inside the Canadian National Exhibition grounds.
• After hearing gunshots, officers attended the scene. Once there, they saw a Honda Accord leaving the area.
• When the car failed to stop, officers discharged gunshots at the car.
• A short distance away near the Dufferin gate exit to the CNE, the car came to a stop in a snowbank.
• An 18-year-old male occupant of the vehicle sustained a gunshot wound to an arm, and a 19-year-old male sustained a gunshot wound to the arm and chest. Both individuals were taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Two subject officers have been designated.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342