SIU Investigates Death of Male in Sutton
Case Number: 13-OCD-015
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OCD-015
Mississauga (18 January, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 48-year-old man in Sutton earlier today.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 4:10 p.m. officers from the York Regional Police were searching an area in Sutton for a missing male;
• The officers started to enter an abandoned house when a shot was heard;
• The house was searched and a male was discovered deceased from an apparent gunshot wound.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342