SIU Investigates Death of Male in Toronto
Case Number: 13-TCD-058
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TCD-058
Mississauga (1 March, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 38-year-old man in Toronto early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 2:00 a.m. officers from the Toronto Police Service (TPS) were investigating a man at the Keele Subway Station.
• While the officers were dealing with the man, he ingested an unknown substance.
• Emergency Medical Services were called and transported him to St. Joseph's Health Centre hospital in Toronto.
• At approximately 7:37 a.m. TPS was notified that the man had died in hospital.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1965 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342