SIU Investigates Shooting Injuries Sustained by Two Men in Bancroft
Case Number: 13-PFI-059
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PFI-059
Mississauga (2 March, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearm injuries sustained by two men in Bancroft early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 2, 2013, two Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to a residence in Bancroft;
• As the officers were leaving the residence with a 24-year-old male, there was an interaction. One of the officers was injured, and the 24-year-old sustained multiple gunshot wounds when one of the officers discharged a firearm. A 49-year-old male in the home also sustained a gunshot wound to the arm;
• The three injured individuals were taken to Kingston Hospital for treatment and are listed as being in serious but stable condition.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342